Sunday, August 21st, 2011

I got up early because Lurline, Dave and I agreed that we would go on a road trip out to Dinosaur National Park today.  It's near Brooks, a couple hours away, so we wanted to get on the road early.  They were supposed to meet me at 9am, but we actually left a little later than that because Dave forgot his wallet at home.  Tristan decided to join us for the day, too.

They hadn't eaten or had a coffee yet, so we stopped to pick up food, then had to get gas.  The morning was slipping away.  Anyway, we finally headed out around 10am.  It's not a very interesting drive.  Lots of fields and flatlands as far as the eye can see.  It was going to be a scorcher, too.  I think we got up to 32.5 degrees celsius!

When we got to Dinosaur National Park, we got out to take photos and I also took some video of the view from the top.  Then we drove down into the canyon and had a snack and a drink at the concession.  There's an actual campground there.  It was really, really hot outside in the sun, so we tried to stay in the shade as much as possible.

There's a loop that you can drive right through the hoodoos and rock formations of the canyon.  Along the way they have some actual dinosaur "digs" that you can check out.  It was interesting and there were lots of fantastic photo opportunities.  It was hard to choose which one to use for today.

When I got home, I made BBQ pork skewers, corn on the cob and potato salad for dinner.  The potato salad was store bought, actually.  Then I put on some music and read a book.  I'm reading Water for Elephants.  I didn't want to see the movie until I've read the book.


No comments: