Tuesday, July 19th, 2011

Had a very nice day today.  Woke up to another sunny, hot day.  Mom and I had a relaxing morning at home, while everybody else was at work.  Then, we decided to go to Value Village just to check things out.  We both bought a few items, and had a 25% off coupon for our purchases, so that was fun.  I dropped mom off at home, then drove up to the North to visit with Debra.  On my way there, a storm blew through the city - rain and lightning and wind.  Then, by the time I got to Debra's, it was sunny again.  Clear, blue skies once again.  We took her dog for a walk, and enjoyed the sunshine, while we caught up on things.

Then, I headed to the Kensington Pub to meet Bryn.  Again, it was wing night, so I filled up on some tasty salt and pepper wings.  That's one of the things I miss most about Calgary!  There's a wing night somewhere every night... and they're delicious.  Anyway, while I was chatting with Bryn, we both heard some pretty heavy rain falling on the skylight overhead.  It was getting louder and louder.  Then, we both realized that it was actually hail.  HAIL?!  I was beginning to freak out a little, knowing that my car was parked outside on the street, and just last year, Calgary had a hail storm so powerful that it did damage to thousands of cars in the city.  So, I took my camera and ran outside to check it out.  I couldn't even go on to the sidewalk because the hail was so strong and the hailstones were so large that people were running for cover everywhere.

Once it had subsided, Bryn took a walk to my car to check it out for me.  He said that there didn't seem to be any hail damage, but I had left my sunroof popped up and the inside of my car was pretty wet.  I was relieved.  Water will dry!

Here is one picture of the hail.  Not sure if you can make out how big some of the hailstones were, but it looks like it was snowing in July.

No comments: